SPANISH SWEET POTATO TORTILLA
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup white potato, diced (about 1 medium potato – optional)
- 5 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 egg white, beaten to soft peaks
- 2 cups wild rocket & lambs lettuce mix (you can also substitute with spinach leaves or another green of choice)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, cubed
- coarse sea salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Locate a plate or a lid that is about the same circumference as the nonstick skillet pan you will be using. This will be used for flipping the tortilla.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat the 1 cup of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potato and white potato and a pinch of sea salt. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, but not brown.
- In the meantime, whisk the eggs (if using egg whites, whisk those separately until very soft peaks) in a medium bowl.
- Drain the potatoes from the oil and add them to the beaten eggs, along with the wild rocket & lettuce lamb (or spinach). Add the feta cheese and give it all a stir to incorporate well.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and make sure it is well spread across the skillet and all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- While cooking, with a spatula or wooden spoon, press the sides of the tortilla inward.
- Cook about 2 minutes. Then place the plate or lid on top and flip the tortilla. Slide it back into the skillet with the uncooked side towards the heat.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes. And while cooking, once again, press the sides of the tortilla inward.
- I flipped mine twice on each side, cooking about 2 minutes each time, for a total of about 8 minutes. (I like my tortilla well done and not runny. Should you like yours a bit more runny, cook less time on each side.)
- Gently slide the tortilla onto a clean serving plate. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before cutting. It can be eaten warm or cold.