Raw Key Lime Pie
Servings: one 7″ pie (cut as desired)
- 2 cups pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 3 medium very ripe frozen bananas
- 2 limes
1. Combine dates, walnuts, and cinnamon in a food processor and process until the mixture turns to a completely blended, thick buttery consistency. This may take up to two minutes of processing.
2. Place one layer of wax paper on the bottom of a 7″ pie pan. Gently press the date butter crust down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie pan. If the date butter is too sticky, wet your finger tips with water and continue pressing into the pan.
1. Use the smallest holes of a grater to grate the peels of both limes to make lime zest.
2. In a VitaMix or other high-speed blender, combine frozen bananas, lime zest, and the juice of 1.5 limes (add the juice of both if you want a really intense lime flavor).
3. Begin blending on low and increase speed until the mixture turns to a thick, fully-blended filling. Be careful not to over blend, as melting will occur.
4. Pour banana-lime mixture into pie crust and freeze for at least one hour. If you have extra filling, pour into a container and freeze as banana-lime ice cream for later.
5. Garnish with sprinkled lime zest or shredded raw coconut and a fresh lime wedge.
- If you prefer the filling to be super sweet, add 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates to the mix before blending.