Paleo Poached Pears
Here’s the original recipe (with my modifications in parentheses):
- 3 cups of fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Odwalla O.J.)
- 3 cups water
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 4 ripe but not mushy pears (I only had 3 pears)
- 5 whole cloves (I didn’t have any)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- parchment paper cut to fit the saucepan you’re using
- zest of one orange (I didn’t have any)
Here’s how I made this dish:
The kids poured the juice, water, ginger, and cinnamon stick into a medium saucepan while I peeled and cored the pears.We dunked the pears in the poaching liquid topped the pot with a piece of parchment paper and brought the liquid to a simmer. The pears poached in the liquid for about 30 minutes or until soft but not mushy.
I removed the pears with a slotted spoon and brought the poaching liquid to a boil. Then, I turned down the heat so the liquid would simmer and reduce by half, or until it became syrupy.
I removed the cinnamon stick and ginger and poured the sauce over the pears. I stored the pears in the poaching liquid in the fridge and served them cold.