Makes sauce for two:
– 3 large tomatoes (the riper the better)
– 1 red pepper
– 1 jalapeño pepper, add a little more if you like it spicy
– 1 carrot
– 1 celery stalk
– a large handful of fresh basil leaves
– 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or a juiced lime)
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– dried mixed herbs
Start by chopping the veg – the carrot needs to be peeled and chopped in half before slicing it. Then chop the celery into fine slices, the tomatoes into quarters, the red pepper into bite size chunks and the jalapeño into tiny squares – both the pepper and jalapeño need to be de-seeded first though.
Then place all the veg with the basil leaves into a sauce pan, adding the olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the lid on the pan and allow everything to simmer for about 20 minutes – until all the veg and soft and mushing together nicely. Once this has happened add the apple cider vinegar, before placing everything into a blender. Blend for a minute or so until a smooth sauce forms.