- 4T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4T finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 minced onions
- 4 cloves garlic crushed to a paste
- 2 cups drained cooked or canned chickpeas
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- fat pinch of cayenne
Pour oil into a large hot saucepan and sauté the onion and cilantro for 10 minutes, uncovered.
Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, then purée.
Return to saucepan, reheat, and serve.