Prebranac (Serbian Baked Beans) (gf, sf, nf)
Ingredients- 500 lima beans (soaked/un-soaked), 1/2 cup olive oil, 4 onions diced, 2 cloves of garlic diced, 2 tbsp Sweet Hungarian Paprika, 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional), sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Place lima beans in a large pot and fill with water. Bring to the boil, then strain beans and remove water.
2. Place lima beans in the same pot and fill with water. Bring to the again boil, then strain beans and remove again water.
3. This time place beans back in pot with water to cover (about 1-2 finger tips). Slightly cover the pot and bring to the boil, then place on a simmer. Cook for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until beans are quite soft
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
5. In a pan heat olive oil and add the onion, garlic, paprika, sea salt, black pepper and liquid smoke. Cook for 5 mins or until onions are translucent, but not browned.
6. Take a baking tray or casserole dish and first layer half the lima beans on the bottom with a little bit of the cooking water. (The more water you add the more moist it will be).
7. Next add half the onion mixture on top of the beans.
8. Then another layer of beans with cooking water and lastly with the onion mixture.
9.Bake for 30 mins or until browned on top.