Red Lentil Patties
Ingredients- 1/2 cup red lentils, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 small red onion diced, 1 small potato grated, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper, sea salt to taste, 1/2 cup quinoa crumbs/other gf crumbs, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 6 tbsp Kale Pesto (recipe below)
1. First cook the red lentils. Place 1 cup of water with the red lentils in a small pot and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins till cooked. Add more water if you need whiles its cooking.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees and heat a pan with olive oil. Saute the red onion and grated potato for 5 mins or until the onion has softened.
3. All the red lentils, red onion and potato to cool a little then add them into the processor. While it mixing add garlic powder, cumin, curry powder, cayenne and sea salt.
4. Once the mixture has combined well remove from the processor and place in a bowl. Add quinoa crumbs and stir through the mixture.
5. Form the mixture into 6 patties. Place the sesame seeds in a small bowl and dust the patties in the sesame seeds.
6. Place patties on a nonstick cookie tray, then bake for 20-25 mins. Turn once while they are cooking so that the seasame seeds on both sides get a little browned.
7. Serve with a tablespoon of Kale Pesto on each pattie.
*Serves 2-3 people.
Kale Pesto (gf, sf)
Ingredients- 2 1/2-3 cups red russian kale leaves (stems removed), 1/3 cup pine nuts, 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp garlic powder/2-3 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp lemon juice sea salt to taste
1. Place pine nuts in the processor and whiz till they are broken down and start to form a paste. If they are not braking down add a dash of olive oil.
2. Then add the kale leaves. Add a bit more olive oil to help break them down easier.
3. Once kale has broken down add the rest of the ingredients to the processor, until it is all combined and creamy.
*Makes about 3/4 cup (12 tbsp)