- 1 cup whole almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 10-12 Medjool dates, chopped
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a coffee grinder, food processor or blender, grind the almonds until they become a fine meal.
- Dump the almond meal into a bowl, then add the coconut oil, baking soda, vanilla and pinch of salt. Mix everything well. Add a tablespoon of water to help everything together. You should be able to pinch the dough with your fingers and have it stay together.
- Grease a mini muffin tin. Take a scant tablespoon of dough and press it into the pan, pushing it down and then up the sides. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until tart shells are firm and slightly golden. They will puff up a bit. Let them cool for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- While the shells are baking, chop up the dates and put them into a small pot. Add ½ cup of water, and gently simmer for 6-8 minutes. The dates should break down almost completely into a paste. You may need to add an extra tablespoon or so of water. You can mash them with a fork to smooth out any remaining date bits.
- When the shells have cooled, take 1 tsp of the date paste and press it into each shell. Chill in the fridge.
- Makes 12
recipe found at http://www.sondibruner.com/2013/07/02/mini-almond-date-tarts/