Serves: 9 bars
- 1¼ cups rolled oats
- ⅔ cup puffed millet or quinoa
- ¼ cup oat flour (if you grind your own, measure after grinding)
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup almond butter (you may need to add more if your almond butter isn’t very smooth)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼-1/2 tsp. salt
- ~Optional toppings:
- 1 cup Nutella (homemade or store-bought) mixed with 2 Tbs. melted coconut oil
- OR melted dark chocolate, OR 1 cup melted coconut butter
- 1 Tbs. chopped hazelnuts, cacao nibs, or chocolate chips
- Combine the first four ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the almond butter, honey or maple syrup, and salt. Mix with a spatula until everything has been evenly distributed and the mixture clumps together.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish or pan with parchment paper. (I like to use two long narrow pieces of parchment so the mixture is easier to remove when it’s hardened).
- Firmly press the mixture down into the baking dish using your hands. Place the dish into the freezer for at least 30 minutes to allow the mixture to harden.
- Optional toppings: Once the mixture is in the freezer, whisk together Nutella and melted coconut oil OR melt a dark chocolate bar and spread evenly over the top of the oat mixture. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and gently press them into the chocolate. Place back into the freezer until set.
- When the oat mixture and topping have had time to harden, remove the baking dish from the freezer and use a sharp knife to cut into bars.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.